My own thoughts on the aim of education are in agreeance with the integration or balancing of the needs and interests of the individual student and the larger society; the cultivation of curiosity and the disposition to inquire; the enhancement of understanding; the fostering of skills and dispositions constitutive of rationality or critical thinking; and the maximization of freedom, happiness or self-esteem. I believe that my thoughts lie more with critical thinking’s educational aim, particularly with Socrates. I believe that students should be able to reason well. Specifically, they can construct and evaluate reasons brought up against beliefs, judgments and actions.

Because of my feelings towards critical thinking, I would assume that my education philosophy leans more towards epistemology and is epistemological in nature. I also believe that my pedagogy type is most likely a critical pedagogy form. I can also say that I greatly agree with Johann Herbart and the ways of apperception.

My Professional Tweet

A teacher is more than someone who educates their students; they can be friends, confidants, and role models. The classroom should be a safe place where the students can learn and grow into unique individuals. #education

Below, I have embedded a PDF of a paper I wrote for my Philosophy of Education course while at Thompson Rivers University.

for-website